Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Quick Tip Tuesday

Don't be afraid to mix and match prints when choosing fabrics for your upholstered pieces. As long as the colors coordinate and one print does not over power the others, mixing prints works beautifully!  I heard a trick once to help make your job easier if you don't fully trust your fabric-mixing/picking abilities (yes I made that up).

It's called the "squint test".  Lay out all of the fabrics you're considering and squint your eyes.  If one pattern stands out a lot more than the rest, then discard that fabric and pick another.  If they seem to all blend together then you've got a winning selection.

When I performed my design test at Ethan Allen, he praised my ability to mix patterns and fabrics.  I didn't use the squint test, but hey not everyone has gone through design school!

Here are some samples:



No comments:

Post a Comment