Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Note to self...

I got this grand idea a few days ago that I could make a passport/ticket holder for my trip to Haiti.  I had been searching online for one and the only ones I could find were Royce Leather for $22.  There was one seller on Etsy that made them, but they looked a little dinky.  After examining each of them, I thought I could surely make one myself.

On my way home today I stopped by Hancock Fabrics to pick up some supplies and off to creating I went. And well...that's where I hit the wall.  Lets just say my efforts were less than successful.  I created three different ones, the first two being completely unsuccessful.  The third, while done and possible to use, is less than beautiful.  Here take a look..

Hahah I literally laugh out loud every time I look at the finished product. The crooked lines, its flimsiness, the thread that doesn't match.  Oh it was an experience...

First to prep the work area.  I had my passport and old ticket to use for measurements, a good pair of scissors, a sewing machine, and the fabric.  And yes, I used that Christmas candelabra as a lamp.  Apparently we have no extra lamps in the house and mine are all at school.  Pathetic I know.

Here is where the issues began.  I had to rethread the machine about 101 times and recut the patterns over and over again.  Hince my box of trash and frustration.

Oh you see that crazy threading?  That's because the tension in my machine didn't catch right. Unfortunately I didn't realize it until it was too late. That means I could have either taken it out and re-stitched everything (not happening) or it will probably fall apart after a few uses.  Frustration source #2.  This is also one of the reasons I had to rethread my machine 101 times.

The finished product.  Please notice the crooked stitching, the white thread on purple fabric, and if only you could hold it to see how flimsy it is.  Haha.

Oh and to top it off, I leave the room for 10 minutes and come back to find my dog chewing on this.  That would be my only spool of black thread. Yeah that's history.

But how can you stay mad at this face?? 

Needless to say I will not be taking my creation with me to Haiti.  I had all intentions of making both Cassie and I one, but sorry Cassie, you won't be getting one unless you are dying to have this one.

Note to self:
  1. Stick to making pillows.  Becoming a seamstress is not my calling.
  2. If Royce Leather is the only company that carries the product you're looking for, don't be foolish and think you can make it yourself.  Clearly it requires a professional. Hince the dinky one on Etsy.
  3. Buy a real one tomorrow afternoon and hope it gets here before my trip 
Hahah.  Fail.

2 comments:

  1. Note to Self #4: Spend your time finishing my pillows instead of wasting your time, money, and efforts.

    Oh goodness...that is one sweet puppy dog face!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahah I knew that was coming. Maybe that will be tonight's adventure

    ReplyDelete