Sunday, June 27, 2010

How I Did It: Part 2

It's been a while since my first post so just as a reminder; I'm writing this series of posts to tell how I got through, and am continuing to move forward through, my breakup. My hope is that someone, someday will find hope and encouragement through the things I write and hopefully help them find their way through their grief a little easier. I wanted a starting point to moving on and had trouble finding it, so my hope is that I can remove that step of the process for anyone out there hurting, and help them to find hope again.

So how'd I do it? Well step one for me was to cry, cry, cry, and cry some more. Now this may seem a bit obvious to you, and maybe it is. But crying helps so much. It's your body's way of releasing all the hurt and stress your feeling inside. I know for me, during the first month not a single day went by that I didn't breakdown halfway through the day or cry myself to sleep at night. There were days I wanted to give up, I'd stay in bed all day sometimes, I'd find myself pleading with God to take my pain away and begging for His comfort. I eventually got to the point that I had cried so much that I found myself unable to cry anymore.

I don't say those things to scare or discourage you, I tell you them to make you realize that it IS ok and important to cry. I remember thinking it wasn't ok for me to be upset and thinking that everyone expected me to over it. I thought at times that it wasn't ok for me to be crying at all, that I should just slap a smile on my face and get over it. That was not the case though. Don't bottle up your emotions, don't think people are looking down on you for grieving. Everyone has to grieve in their own way and in their own time. It's not a fun thing to go through and it's most definitely not easy, but it's one step of the process you just have to endure. Accepting that will make things a little bit easier. You'll eventually get to the point that you will make it through an entire day without crying and those days will turn into weeks. Push through the hard times, and don't give up. I promise it doesn't last forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment