Friday, March 20, 2020

FAQ Part 2: COVID-19

Hey everyone!

What a crazy time we are living in right now with COVID-19 going around. There are so many thoughts and emotions going through each of us right now, so I'll just keep this short, sweet, and to the point. The goal here is just to answer a few more questions I've been getting lately around my weight loss surgery and COVID-19.  Enjoy!

Thinking about COVID-19, are you considered more at risk due to your recent surgery?
Great question! This is actually probably the number one thing my doctor and I discussed at my last appointment on 3/10/20.  At that time we knew this pandemic was coming, but it hadn't quite hit us as hard as it has today, or will continue to.  To keep it simple, he basically said no, I'm not at a higher risk.  Due to being so far out from surgery, my body has had enough time to heal and build my immune system back up.  He also noted due to my age and overall good health, that according to the information we had at the time, I am in a lower risk category already.  He of course suggested following all of the recommended protocols from the CDC, but did not think I need to stay out of work longer or take any additional precautions.

Are you still working?
Yes, thankfully right now I am blessed to have a job that is continuing to push forward and allow us to work.  We are all on an official "work from home" type set up, as in none of us meet in the office anymore.  However, my role is 80% individually field based so I am still going out as needed to our properties to complete visits, stock inventory, etc.  Thankfully all of the homes I visit are vacant and our company has provided cleaning supplies to each of us, so I am at very little risk while I'm working.

Will you continue to be paid if you can no longer work due to illness or a stay-in-place mandate?
This one is a bit harder to answer.  Right now, the answer is yes.  My company has said for now it will continue to pay hourly employees if a stay-in-place mandate is issued and we can't work from home.  There are multiple layers to this for me, as yes a mandate would eliminate my ability to do field visits.  However, at the same time there may be other projects I can work on from home to continue pay.  Ultimately, I just don't know yet, and neither does the company, which is honestly a bit terrifying.  I'm trying to not get too ahead of myself and worry about it, but I am being very intentional with my finances right now and saving every extra penny I can in the event my paychecks stop.  I think the ultimate answer to this question will rely heavily on IF a stay-in-place mandate is issued, and for how long it lasts.  In terms of illness, our company has provided each employee extra paid sick time so I should be covered there.

Did you have enough supplies if a stay-in-place mandate is issued?
Yes, I have plenty of supplies - food, cleaning, meds, paper goods, etc.  One perk of my recent surgery and living alone is that my meals are quite small in size now.  One pack of chicken lasts me easily for 4 meals, so I should be good to go and don't need nearly as much as other people do.

How are you handling all of the COVID-19 craziness right now in general?
Overall, right now I'm in a fairly good head space regarding life and COVID-19. Don't get me wrong, I definitely have moments of anxiousness around the whole thing, but I've tried to stay away from social media and the news as much as possible to stay level-headed.  I find I'm the most anxious when I read other people's worries/fears around this, or when I watch the 100000th update.  My priority right now is taking care of my self and making sure I follow the guidelines.  For me, this has involved a lot of self-care at home.  My favorite self-care activities right now are long walks with Jax in this GORGEOUS Spring weather, long hot epsom salt baths with essential oils, opening the windows to let the fresh air in, and spring cleaning small areas here and there. If you aren't getting outside at least once a day to enjoy this weather, stop what you're doing and go for a walk now!  I literally cannot get enough of this weather, it is giving me life!



Can you share an overall update on your recovery, how you're feeling physically, how much weight you've lost, etc?
Sure! I am honestly doing really well physically right now.  My strength is back, my heart rate issue has gone away, I'm tolerating food very well, and I'm increasing my exercise slowly each day.  I can honestly say that where I am today, I am glad that I did this surgery.  I still don't see a massive change in my appearance, but I did put the photos below side by side the other night and can see the loss quite a bit in my face, woohoo!!! There are days I still doubt that this surgery will get me to the number on the scale I'd like to be, but I know in time it will happen.  As of today, I've lost 50 pounds in total, 31 of which I've lost since surgery (steadily losing around 2 lbs per week right now).  That is no small feat, and I am quite proud of myself!  In terms of food, I'm up to around 1/3 cup of volume per meal, and occasionally I can stretch that to 1/2 cup depending on what I'm eating.  The goal is to be at 1/2 cup by the 3 month mark, and I'm just over 6 weeks and on track! I find that my stomach tolerates meat the best when it's very moist and covered in some kind of sauce.  The only food my stomach has not tolerated well was either green peas or a roast I made one night.  I'm not 100% sure which one caused the issue, as it didn't hit me until the following morning, but I have not tried either again since. On the other hand, the absolute best thing I've had since surgery was our family's Ritz Chicken casserole.  That is the only dish I have finished every bite of leftovers on, and I'll definitely be making it again soon!  I've also found some bean and protein pasta options that are allowed right now, and while I can't eat much of it, they have definitely helped ease my craving for pasta!  I definitely still crave the things I'm not allowed to eat right now (breads, fried food, real pasta, etc), but I'm counting down to the three month mark where I can be more adventurous in the foods I try.  Honestly though, I'm doing really well and am very thankful for that!

(Left - December 29, 2019 ---  Right - March 14, 2020)

2 comments: