Monday, October 28, 2013

Haiti Overload

Bonswa from Haiti!!  Sorry I haven't updated, we don't have internet at the house yet so I can only blog when I'm using a friend's wifi.

So where to begin.... the past week has been one filled with emotional highs, lows, and in betweens.  We arrived in Haiti on the 19th at around 4:00pm.  We were bombarded by Haitians who wanted to help carry our bags and even though we said no, we ended up having to dish out $20 to get our luggage in the car.  It was probably the most chaotic I've seen the airport, but that's probably because we had nine bags instead of our usual one or two.   The first night we had power until about 8pm, which is unheard of in our part of town.  It was a true God thing because we needed lights to get settled for the night.  The team with us quickly went to mopping and cleaning so we could put our mattresses on the floor.  While we started to slowly unpack, Patricia headed to the store to buy food for dinner, and then we had a quick meal by candlelight before heading to bed.

Sunday was by far the hardest day I've had here in Haiti.  We slept in, which was much needed after only 3 hours of sleep the night before, but as soon as we woke up we went straight to work.  Patricia was sitting with us going over everything I needed to do in the following weeks.  As I looked out the window, it was all I could do to not break down in tears.  I excused myself to the porch, tried to regain my composure, and then sat back down.  About that time, everyone had left the room and I just sat with my mind wandering endlessly over how life would be here.  The emotions kept swelling up and tears streamed down my face.  When mom walked in, it was no longer tears but full out sobbing.  I was terrified, overwhelmed, and all out freaking out.  It seemed like most of the day was like that with on and off emotional moments.

The rest of the week was spent working with the team and getting the house in order.  The team was a HUGE blessing!! They built 6 sets of bunk beds, two individual twin beds, my full size bed, three 8 foot long tables for serving and preparing food, eight tables to use for ministry, 8 benches, a nightstand for my room, and a shelving unit for the hall bath.  I can't even describe how amazing it was to have them here this week.  They got the house in working order, and all the rooms are functional now.  They also hung towel bars, toilet paper holders, and mirrors.  Thank you so much to all of the Dry Ridge team!!

This week also contained an on-going battle with water.  We eventually figured out that the land lady had been pumping water from our cistern into her tank.  We also figured out that one of our pipes was broken so hardly any water was getting into the tank but was instead running off the back of the house. This was incredibly frustrating for me, especially since we had a team at the house.  At the end of the day after you've been sweating profusely, a shower is all we wanted, and most nights we couldn't provide that for everyone.  Thankfully, Jeremiah was able to figure out the problem and we got it fixed.  We also explained to the land lady how to properly pump water from each cistern, so that is also resolved. Praise God!!  We finally have water and I can't put into words how nice that is!!

It's the little, and big, things we take for granted back home that make such a difference here.  Things like power, water to bathe, safe drinking water, washing clothes, etc.  The days of flipping on the light switch at any hour, brushing your teeth with the sink water, & washing your dishes without bleach are gone.

It has definitely been an adjustment living here, but I can truly say that each day gets a little easier in one way or another.  I am slowly figuring out a routine which makes a big difference. The house is also slowly starting to feel like home which also helps a lot.  I miss my friends and family a lot, but I know this is where God has called me.  I ask that you would continue to pray for me.

Some specific prayer requests:
-Please pray that funding for an inverter would come in soon.  We desperately need to get steady power in the house to help keep perishable foods cold, to have fans, etc.  
-Please pray that funding for a car and washing machine would also come in.  It is so hard to get around here without a car, and a washing machine would allow us to wash our own clothes.
-Please pray for our safety, guidance, wisdom, and protection here in Haiti.  Pray that God would show us when, how, and where to do ministry.



No comments:

Post a Comment